Monday, February 2, 2009

A Book That is All The Rage in the 4th Grade

I was told by my friend Marti to read this book, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, by Jeff Kinney. She said it was all the rage in 4th grade; all the students wanted to read it and loved it. I myself want to teach 4th grade so had to see what this book was all about. This book is a novel in cartoons which added a wonderful element to the story. I love having pictures to help me follow along with a story. To the left is an example of the authors writing and illustrations. I think my favorite part of the book is that the story is just so relatable to kids around this age. Greg Hefley is the main character and he goes through so many things that many other preteens/teenagers do; he's got the awkward gym classes, the popularity scales, the side kick best friend, the desire to be known for something no matter what it is, and a wacky family to go along with the stressful teenage life. I think this is a great book for students between the age of 8 and 13. I can't wait to read the sequels to the book. I certainly want to add Jeff Kinney's books into my classroom collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment