Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Goodnight Moon

This was my sisters favorite book when she was younger. My mom had to read it to her practically every night before bed. I on the other hand did not see the fascination with the book at the time. Now quite a few years later have changed my mind about the book that I once found dull.

Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd put together a really amazing children's book. First off, I love the rhyming pattern. It's great for young readers to follow along when someone is reading it to them but it's also great because the words are not difficult with makes it easy for a young child to read. Each line in the book, although simple in its sentence structure, is still very descriptive. I can picture the room without looking at the pictures. But I have to say the pictures really do add the little extra umph. I really enjoyed that the pictures followed a pattern. When the book is open faced you have 2 pages. On the pages you either have a full picture of the room with color bleeding off the page OR you have a black and white picture of just one individual object. The images standing alone seemed to be of great importance in the room and needed to be set apart from all the rest.

Over all, I like this story a lot for younger children and think it's a really good book for beginner readers. Maybe someday my son or daughter will want me to read this book to them every night before they go to bed.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Goodnight Moon when I was younger too. Like your sister, I asked my mom to read it to me many nights before bed! I liked your description of things the book did well and I'm glad you enjoy the book now that you are older!

    ReplyDelete