
In the Night Kitchen was also written by Maurice Sendak. I really would like to know where Sendak comes up with the ideas for his books because they are always different than most other books. This book was also a Caldecott winner. My favorite part about this book is the illustrations. I am not sure why Mickey needed to be naked in the book though. I think that makes this book a little bit controversial... and the fact that it is nothing like real life. The one thing I like most about the illustrations is that it is like a comic book when you read. There is the characters voice in word bubble and the story line, told by the narrator is at the top of the page. I also like that the town is made from house hold items such as pepper grinder and a bottle opener and a nut cracker. I would have never thought to illustrate the story the way he did but I really enjoy that about it. The one thing I was not a fan of is how the bakers are portrayed. They are short, fat men. It looks like they eat everything that they bake. I wish that there was a variety in the looks of the bakers because there were 3 and they looked all the same. Other than that, I liked the book. But I must say I am not sure I understand it all that well... other than he is dreaming...but I want to know why about baking and why he slips out of his clothes.
No comments:
Post a Comment