Friday, May 15, 2009

Midterm and Final Reflection

I thoroughly enjoyed reading and responding to children's literature. This was a great class to take because it exposed me to so many children's books that I had never read before. I remember the first class when we had to pick our favorite book when we were younger. I couldn't think of one... because I didn't have one. For me books have never been a part of my life. I never liked reading and I was in the "slow" reading group when I was younger. I have always struggled with reading, especially when it comes to reading in a certain amount of time. That is why I decided to specialize in reading. I wanted children to love reading unlike I did. And I say did because I have really started to enjoy reading much more. I never realized how many great books there were out there. Yes I know, I read children's books, but there are some amazing children's books out there! I have found some new favorite books because of this class. I have also learned how to pick out good books and how to use them in my classroom. I also never knew how many different types of books there were in children's literature. Before this class I only thought of story books with people or animals. I had no idea there were great wordless books and graphic novels and controversial books and historical fictions and tons more. I loved all the books I got to read this semester. And I only blogged about maybe half of them! Reading some of these books really made me consider teaching a younger grade because of all the great picture books there are. Although there are some great chapter books as well. I have to say my favorite book I read this semester in the class was the Misfits. I never would have picked up that book own my own and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to read it. I'm glad I had the opportunity to take this class. I really enjoyed this semester. The only thing I did not enjoy was blogging about books. Well I didn't not enjoy it but it was extremely difficult when I did not have a computer or Internet access when I needed it. I would have enjoyed a journal more. I also am not the biggest fan that anyone can read my blog but then again it's good to have published writing :) lol. I just get nervous that an author will see what I wrote about their book... and what if I didn't like there book? Ahh! Either way blogging or no blogging I enjoyed this course very much. I think class time was very enjoyable and I really learned a lot from you Jen. I also learned a lot from other classmates as well. This class was one of my favorite classes I have taken at the University of Iowa so far! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment