Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Man Who Walked Between the Towers


The Man Who Walked Between the Towers is by Mordicai Gerstein. This book was a Caldecott Winner and it was definitely a well deserved book. This book was amazing!!! I loved the illustrations, the story, everything about this book. I know someone in our class said to read it because she loved it so I decided I would and I'm so glad I did. The illustrations are absolutly amazing. The cross hatching technique used on the people and trees up close were beautiful. And I think it's amazing that it was all done in black ink. The Man Who Walked Between the Towers is the true story of Philippe Petit, the great acrobat and street performer who dared to walk between the twin towers on August 7, 1974. The story about Philippe walking across a tight rope across the twin towers is an amazing story and its a great, exciting one to tell children. I really like how the pages are folded up into the book and can expand to get a full picture of the view from down below and the the city. The only thing I am not sure that I liked was the ending. I wish there was a little bit more than just "now the towers are gone". But maybe it fits better that way. Im not sure. It just wasnt my favorite way to end it.

No comments:

Post a Comment