Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Gingerbread Girl

The gingerbread girl is a cute little follow up story with a creative spin from the original gingerbread man story. The gingerbread girl is the sister of the gingerbread man. I like the fact that the gingerbread girl out-smarts the fox. I think it is somewhat empowering to women... even though it a gingerbread cookie :) The book even says that women are smarter. The first lines of the book are "You may remember the sad story of the gingerbread boy [...] This is the story of his younger wiser sister". I really loved the illustrations to this book and the title page and how candy outlines the shape of a gingerbread man. The one thing I found interesting is that I was reading it aloud to my friend (yes I read it aloud... getting ready for the real thing in the classroom) they thought that some of the references in the book were somewhat sexual... like she had hairs of licorice whips. I feel like it kind has a shrek type of feeling. Enjoyable for adults because of the humor and children because it's a cute story.

No comments:

Post a Comment